Visible Mending for Beginners Workshop
Have you stopped wearing the clothes you love because of a pesky hole, slight tear or dreadful stain? Are you feeling disheartened about contributing to the global textile waste problem but unsure what to do with your damaged clothes?
Learn how to minimise your clothing consumption by making the most of what you already own. Discover your clothes’ holes-and-all potential to embrace the individuality & imperfectness of mending by hand.
Rekindling the age-old practice of functional sewing with a dash of creativity, you’ll learn basic and beautiful hand-sewing stitches. Then, apply these new skills to create your unique, sustainable wardrobe piece to wear and inspire conversation about fashion sustainability.
In this workshop, you will:-
- Stitch a small sampler of basic stitches to help you repair clothes with confidence
- Start mending your own clothes, using the fabric, threads and tools available at the workshop
- Share in others’ mending repair problem-solving and creativity
- Learn about different fabric behaviours and strengths
The workshop is designed for beginner sewers who have no or limited hand-sewing and mending experience.
Previous workshop wrap ups found on instagram:
- October 2023 – Port Stephens Council (Tomaree)
- 2 hour guided facilitation by local eco living educator, Mardi from French for Tuesday.
- Sewing fabric remnants that are suitable for mending and repair
- Needles and other tools & supplies, including thread, cotton and yarn
What you’ll need to bring…
- An item of clothing that’s in need of a holes-to-mend style of repair. This could be a piece you know is unsuitable for opshop donation and would ordinarily be tossed in general rubbish.
- Don’t have a piece just yet? That’s okay, there’ll be a small selection of clothes for you to choose from to repair with love and creativity.
For pricing and availability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or go here to directly contact Mardi
Enquire now to make the most of living authentically sustainably everyday. Starting today.
Covid Policy | Booking and Cancellation Policy
Discover More Workshops…
Related stories and products from French for Tuesday: