Along your journey towards a more low impact lifestyle, finding quality reusable options similar to your current products means you’re more likely to stick with the new-for-you alternative. It’s working out what’s best for you by refusing and reducing your reliance on single use, disposable plastic and increasing your reliance on reusable products.
Are you keen to replace your glad wrap when it runs out? Start here with these green simple swaps – alternatives to cling wrap.
- minimise single-use plastic waste,
- support your healthy diet by making it easy to pack your own food,
- save you money as you no longer need to purchase on-the-go food
There are lunch boxes for everyone and everything! Choose between a one compartment lunch box with movable divider or pick a very nude, unpackaged lunch to enjoy in your bento style lunchbox. Keeping your food in the one place keeps your food fresh and unsquashed.
Insulated Lunch Bags
Insulated lunch bags keep your food either cool or warm, depending upon what you’ve packed. They are practical, yet come in so many trendy styles. They’re ideal for when there’s no fridge available, such as school, a picnic or an outing.
Stainless Steel Lunch Boxes
Stainless steel lunch boxes are durable, reusable, easy to clean, non-toxic and come in a variety of sizes! Choose between ones with many compartments like this bento stainless steel container, or this one-space stainless steel container.
The Lunchbots brand of stainless steel lunchboxes has dippers containers and leakproof containers with lids so you can carry your sauces or more liquidy foodstuffs without leaking. Pop them into your larger lunchbox container.
The best lunchboxes for kids:
- are durable,
- need to be easy for kids to open by themselves,
- simple in design without too many open and close compartments
- have food that’s easily accessible,
- keeps food cold without refrigeration or hot without reheating
- must survive the toughest challenge of all – meeting your child’s “cool lunch box” standard, which is one they must like!
Beeswax Food Wraps
Open your packet of reusable beeswax food wraps and the first thing you’ll notice is the beautiful, delicate smell of beeswax. Made from a small number of natural, ethically sourced or organic ingredients, beeswax food wraps are an eco friendly reusable alternative to cling wrap. The production process is local and the end-of-product-life is compostable. Beeswax food wraps keep your veggies fresh in the fridge, protect your sandwiches from drying out and are a lightweight, reusable wrap when you’re out and about.
Where to Buy Beeswax Food Wraps in Australia?
Choose to buy Australian made beeswax food wraps that use Australian beeswax and as many locally, ethically or organically sourced ingredients. It’s a wonderful way to reduce your carbon footprint and support Australian producers and makers.
- Apiwraps are made from NSW beeswax using organic cotton. Buy your Apiwraps from here
- Honey Bee Wrap use the majority of their ingredients from Australia and use 100% organically grown cotton, which means no nasty toxins. As a business, they give back to their local community by employing locals and buying locally sourced ingredients. They give away their byproduct fabric waste, which is then recycled. Buy your Honey Bee Wraps from here.
- Queen B is the Australian leader in beeswax products. Buy your natural beeswax wraps from here.
- Sustomi is on a mission to achieve zero waste in style. Buy your high quality beeswax wraps from here.
If you’re keen to make your own beeswax wraps, these DIY beeswax wrap kits are an excellent start. Check pricing and availability of the DIY kits by clicking here and start enjoying the pleasure of making and using your own beeswax food wraps!
Vegan Food Wraps
The delight and naturalness of beeswax is not very vegan. Luckily there are Australian businesses who understand your preference and have created plant-based food wraps. Similar in style and use to the beeswax wraps, they are vegan friendly.
Silicone Food Wrap
Silicone is a stable plastic polymer which makes silicone food wraps ideal for creating airtight and watertight container seals. Easy to clean, lightweight, and odourless the reusable silicone food wrap is perfect for when you’re on the go or travelling. They are excellent wraps for foodstuffs that aren’t suitable for beeswax food wraps, such as meats and highly greasy food. Vegans will also find the silicone food wrap another good alternative to cling wrap.
Unfortunately silicone cannot be recycled through household recycling bins. One brand of silicone food wrap, Agreena, has partnered with an independent Australian recycling facility so that unusable wraps can made into other rubberised products. At the end of its useful life, Agreena reusable silicone food wraps can be returned to Biome.
Where to Buy Silicone Food Wraps?
There are a range of silicone food wrap styles available to buy from here, and here. Agreena brand of silicone food wraps can be found here.
Re-Usable Food Covers
There are a range of other re-usable food cover options:
- Your existing plates and crockery can be used to cover bowls for the fridge or as a lid cover when heating food in the microwave,
- Reuse your existing plastic bread bags as a food cover or food bag,
- Stretchy cotton-based elasticised bowl covers,
- Re-usable bread bags,
- Glass containers with flat lids for ease of storage and stacking,
- Re-usable ziplock style bags
Living without cling wrap is possible! This blogpost highlighted more than four achievable options as alternatives to cling wrap for you to use in the home. I hope this inspires you to start reducing your reliance on single wrap plastic and increasing the use of alternatives to cling wrap with these green simple swaps.
For more easy green simple swap ideas, check out Green Simple Swaps – From Tissues to Hankies
Some links in this post are my affiliate partnership recommendations. If you choose to purchase from these links, I may receive a commission without any additional cost to you.